If you have any complaint about your beer, such as poor quality or short measure, your first contact should of course be with the management of the pub concerned. If you need to pursue the complaint further, contact Citizens Advice consumer helpline during office hours or visit the website Citizens Advice.

Citizens Advice consumer helpline: 0808 223 1133
Textphone: 18001 0808 223 1133

Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Lines are closed on bank holidays.

How the consumer helpline can help you

The helpline adviser can:

  • give you practical and impartial advice on how to resolve your consumer problem
  • tell you the law which applies to your situation
  • pass information about complaints on to Trading Standards (you can’t do this yourself)