From Marsh Mash Summer 2018
- 4 medium Chicken Breasts skinned
- 2 tablespoons (1fl oz / 30ml) Olive Oil
- 1 small finely chopped onion
- 1 clove Garlic (or use 1 teaspoon ready prepared from a jar)
- 1 teaspoon Paprika (smoked if possible)
- ½ teaspoon ground Cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground Ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- Juice of ½ a lime or lemon
- 1oz (30g) dark brown sugar (Muscovado is best)
- 1 x 500ml bottle (or 1 pint) light non-bitter beer (you will use 250ml or ½ pint for this recipe) – I used a bottle of Badger Brewery ‘The Golden Champion Golden Ale’ @ 4.5%
- 2 tablespoons Cornflour
Pour half the beer into a glass to drink – enjoy it.
Marinade the chicken:
Place the scored chicken into a dish at least 1.5” (4cm) deep. Mix everything else together except for the cornflour and pour over the chicken. Cover the dish with cling film, tin foil or a lid if the dish has one. Place dish in the fridge to marinade for at least 12 hours.
Note: if you like a spicier dish add ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper when making the marinade.
The next day:
Drain the marinade from the chicken into a jug, re-cover the chicken and put back into the fridge until ready to cook. Put the cornflour into a small saucepan, add a small amount of water and mix to a thin paste with a wooden spoon, then add the marinade and stir thoroughly. Put saucepan on to the heat and gradually bring to boil stirring all the time (if necessary, add a little more sugar or spices to taste). When sauce is thickened, take off heat, cover with cling film or tin foil and put to one side.
Note: If you prefer a thinner sauce, add more water a little at a time, stirring after each addition until required thickness is achieved. You may need to add more spices to taste.
Cook the chicken on the BBQ
Serve chicken with the sauce and a salad, or whatever you wish.
Chef’s Note – this recipe will work equally well with pork, salmon or other ‘chunky’ white fish.