From Marsh Mash Winter 2011
- ½ pint/10fl oz (285ml) Bishops Finger Ale (take from a 500ml bottle and drink the rest)
- 3oz (85g) Butter/Margarine/Spread (i.e. Olive Oil/Sunflower Spread/Utterly Buttery)
- 3oz (85g) Soft Moist Brown Sugar
- 5oz (140g) Dried Mixed Fruit
- 1 Extra Large Egg (or 2 small ones)
- 10oz (240g) Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1 level tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- Put beer, fat, sugar and fruit into a saucepan and gently bring to the boil, stirring all the time. Turn out the heat and cool for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Grease and line an 8" (20cm) round cake tin (or use a round cake tin liner, available from most supermarkets)
- Sieve all of the dry ingredients together into a fairly large mixing bowl.
- Beat egg/s and add to beer mix, stir well to mix.
- Add liquid mix to dried ingredients and beat well until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared cake tin, smooth over and make a well in the centre (to allow for rising).
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 195°C/390°F/Gas 5 for 45 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 185°C/360°F/Gas 4 and bake for a further 20-40 minutes until a skewer/thin bladed knife comes out clean.
To make a more economical cake with a crumbly texture, replace the fat with lard and omit the egg.
Recipe by Shirley Johnson