The result of the CAMRA Ashford Folkestone & Romney Marsh Pub Of The Year competition was decided at a special meeting held on Wednesday 15th February 2012. The nominations were the Bell at Ivychurch, Bowl at Hastingleigh, Farriers Arms at Mersham, Ship at Sandgate and the Three Mariners at Hythe.
We are pleased to announce that the winner is:
The Bowl Inn at Hastingleigh
Ron and Ann took over the Bowl Inn in 2004, cleaning and restoring the historic listed building, and making it once again a vibrant part of the community. There are three real ales available and the pub has been in the Good Beer Guide every year since 2007. Next door to the pub is Ron's Emporium, an antiques barn run by Ron and his son, well worth a look around when you go to visit:
The Bown Inn
The Street, Hastingleigh, Kent TN25 5HU - Tel: 01233 750354
The presentation to the Bowl Inn took place on Thursday 24th May
Congratulations to Ron and Ann at the Bowl Inn for being awarded our Pub of the Year for 2012, the pub went forward to compete with another 4 pubs to become the CAMRA East Kent POTY. The winner was announced on 26 May as The Conqueror Alehouse and will compete with the CAMRA West Kent POTY to become the CAMRA Kent 2012 Pub of the Year and ultimately compete with other regions to become CAMRA's National Pub of the Year.
CAMRA's Pub of the Year competition recognises all the criteria that make a great pub, including atmosphere, decor, welcome, service, value for money, customer mix, but most importantly, the quality of the beer.
- Thanet: The Conqueror Alehouse, Grange Road, Ramsgate. CT11 9LR - (Winner)
- Canterbury, Herne Bay and Whitstable: The Dolphin, 17 St Radigunds St, Canterbury, CT1 2AA
- Dover, Deal and Sandwich: The Berry, 23 Canada Road, Walmer. CT14 7EQ
- Swale: The Elephant, 31 The Mall, Faversham. ME13 8JN
The pubs competing for West Kent Pub of the Year are:
- West Kent: The Halfway House, Horsmonden Rd, Brenchley. TN12 7AX - (Winner)
- Gravesend & Darent Valley: The Jolly Drayman, 1 Wellington Street, Gravesend. DA12 1JA
- Maidstone & Mid Kent: The Stile Bridge, Staplehurst Road, Marden. TN12 9BH
- Medway: The Kings Arms, Upper Upnor, Kent, ME2 4XG
A very close runner up for our branch Pub of the Year 2012 was:
The Bell Inn at Ivychurch
our winner for 2010 and 2011.
The presentation to the Bell Inn took place on Wednesday 30th May at 19:30
The Bell Inn
Ivychurch, Kent TN29 0AL - Tel: 01797 344355